Dental Implants at Our Edmonton Dental Clinic
Are you looking for Dental Implants in Edmonton? Your teeth were made to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. Missing teeth can occur for a variety of reasons including trauma to the mouth, tooth decay, and disease.
One or more missing teeth can affect your smile, self-confidence and your overall quality of life. It’s obvious that a missing tooth makes your smile look different, but there are also additional effects including the following:
- Other teeth can shift, which leads to misalignment
- Speech can be impacted
- Chewing can become more difficult
- Self-esteem can decrease
- Bone loss can occur, which gives the face a sagging appearance
Implants are a great option to restore the function and appearance of your teeth. Although you can also replace missing teeth with dentures or a dental bridge, implants are ideal for tooth replacement for the following reasons:
- Implants are similar to your natural teeth: Dental implants are fixed in your jawbone. Implants look and function as close to natural teeth as possible.
- They reduce the chance of bone loss: Because implants fuse with your jawbone, it stimulates the bone and helps to retain bone level.
- Implants help maintain the natural shape of the face: Facial sagging due to missing teeth can make you look older. By replacing the missing tooth and preventing bone loss, the natural shape of the face is maintained.
- They protect other teeth: Implants do not require preparing the adjacent teeth as a dental bridge does. Healthy teeth on the adjacent sides of the implant are not affected.
The Implant Process
Every case is different. Some patients are replacing one tooth while other people are replacing several teeth. In some instances, procedures to build up the jawbone may also be needed. Our team at Strathcona Dental Clinic will carefully evaluate your individual situation and walk you through the implant process.
The first step in getting an implant is meeting with Dr. Abdul Wehbe or Dr. Barry Bergh at Strathcona Dental Clinic. We’ll review your medical and dental history and make sure you are a good candidate for implants. Most patients who are healthy can have dental implants. After the procedure is explained and all your questions are answered, we’ll schedule you for the first step in the implant process.
Inserting the Implant
Inserting the implant involves surgically placing an implant in the jawbone. The procedure is usually performed under local anesthesia so that you won’t feel any pain. A cut is made in the gum tissue, and a hole is created. The implant post is placed in the hole, and your gum tissue is stitched closed. You’ll be sent home with instructions on caring for the incision site
The site is left to heal so that the post can integrate or bond with your jawbone. The healing process may vary, but it usually takes two to six months for new bone cells to grow around the post, so it can’t move, and it will support the artificial tooth. You may be able to wear a temporary replacement tooth over the implant site until the implant has integrated, especially if it is a front tooth.
Placing the Healing Cap, Abutment and Crown
Two to six months later, you’ll likely have the second step in the implant process. This step involves exposing the implant to make sure it integrated into the jawbone. If everything looks good, we’ll attach an extension called a healing cap to the implant. The healing cap sits above the gum line.
An abutment is later attached to the implant. Lastly, your crown is placed on the abutment. Your crown will be matched to the color and shape of your other teeth to look as natural as possible.
With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime and return your smile and self-confidence!
Why Strathcona Dental Clinic
We know you have options when choosing a dentist. We feel our patients are our greatest asset, and we want you to be comfortable choosing our Edmonton dental clinic. Some of the reasons you should entrust us with your care include:
- Our philosophy: We believe in combining expert dentistry with exceptional customer service, so from start to finish your experience is positive and pain and stress-free.
- Experienced dentists: Both Dr. Abdul Wehbe and Dr. Barry Bergh bring years of experience placing dental implants. Our dentists are committed to staying abreast of leading-edge treatment options. They are both members of the Edmonton Dental Society and the Canadian Dental Association.
- Caring Staff: Our friendly and caring staff are here to help guide you through your visits. We’re happy to answer questions on everything from scheduling appointment to insurance information.
- Anxiety free dentistry: We know coming to the dentist may not be your favorite activity. But we want to make it as stress-free as possible. We utilize the latest technology and procedures to make sure you’re pain-free.