Over the years, tooth loss has become a prevalent health problem around the world. In Canada, tooth loss is among the country’s chronic illnesses, specifically among the elderly. The top causes of tooth loss are congenital defects, defective root canal, excessive wear and tear, gum diseases, medication, and tooth decay. If you are suffering from tooth loss yet don’t like dentures, the best and highly recommended cosmetic and functional dental procedure for tooth replacement is dental implant. Here are ten reasons why Dr. Abdul Wehbe, an Edmonton dentist, suggests dental implants:
- Dental implants are the most advanced teeth replacement procedure. They are strong and firm and look like natural teeth – the appearance, fit and function. Therefore, it does not obstruct day to day activities such as speaking, smiling, laughing, etc.
- Dental implants boost self-confidence and self-esteem. People with dental implants don’t have to worry about how their teeth look. Dental implants are made to look exactly like natural teeth. Hence, dental implants help you feel more comfortable and confident when hanging out with family, friends, co-workers, etc.
- Dental implants are designed to last a lifetime. Other forms of dental replacement may last around five to seven years and can even last up to ten years if taken care of properly. However, with dental implants, expect that they can last forever along with the right care.
- Dental implants protect the healthy bone. Dental implants don’t only aid in preserving natural bone, they also stimulate bone growth and avert progressive tooth loss.
- Dental implants sustain healthy teeth. Dental implants are attached to the jawbone and not to the teeth. This means that it doesn’t harm the adjacent teeth. In fact, dental implants help prevent the adjacent teeth from shifting into the space caused by tooth loss.
- Dental implants keep the worries away. Dental implants are attached and secured permanently to your jaw. So, no need to fret that it may fall or slip out every time you laugh your heart out. Another benefit is it also spares you from taking off your teeth and immersing it in water before going to sleep daily.
- Dental implants do not affect your eating process. Dental implants are as strong as natural teeth. So, do not limit yourself from eating foods that may break the replaced tooth.
- Dental implants do not harbor cavities. However, this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t take care of them. It is crucial that you brush your teeth two to three times daily and visit your dentist for checkups, cleanings and gum care.
- Dental implant surgery has high success rate. A five-year study that focused on the lower jaw and upper jaw teeth replacement surgery revealed that dental implants have shown a 95% success rate compared to other known methods.
- Dental implants are low maintenance. Opting for dental implants helps sustain the healthy state of your teeth. As a result, there is a reduction in the frequency of dental check-up for root canal procedures and additional restorative methods.
If you are considering dental implants, visit and discuss your options with Dr. Wehbe at Strathcona Dental Clinic, located just off of Whyte Avenue. He is accepting new patients from Monday to Friday. Call 780-433-1154.