Dental Crowns at Our Edmonton Dental Clinic
Looking for Dental Crowns in South Edmonton? If you have teeth that are broken, badly decayed or
About Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are made using impressions of your prepared tooth or teeth, then cemented over that tooth, up to the gum line. These are used if too much of a tooth is lost to decay to hold a filling, for cosmetic purposes and to protect the tooth after root canal
- Gold caps are highly durable and have the strength to protect back teeth for biting and chewing. Since they are very noticeable, they may not be
a desiredchoice for front teeth.
- Ceramic or porcelain dental crowns closely resemble the
colourand translucence of natural teeth. The natural look is often preferred for treatment of front teeth.
- Porcelain fused to metal (PFM) provide both the strength of metal with the natural look of porcelain to create crowns that are highly durable and less susceptible to breakage.
What to Expect While Crowning a Tooth
Crowning a tooth is a minimum five-step procedure that we assure you will be as comfortable and anxiety-free as possible. These steps include:
- Application of a local anesthetic.
- Using specialized tools, the affected tooth will be filed down to prepare for the dental crown.
- A dental impression of your filed tooth and the surrounding teeth will be taken.
- A temporary crown will be applied.
- At a subsequent visit, the permanent crown that was made from your dental impression will be fitted and cemented into place.
Strathcona Dental Clinic in South Edmonton
**If you're nervous about going to the dentist—new ways of doing things have made modern dentistry more comfortable for patients, and talking to your dentist may reassure you and help you feel more relaxed. Ask us about Sedation Dentistry.